Friday, December 7, 2007

Gripe du jour

Christmas shopping itself is tolerable... just barely. But if the crowds, the traffic and the general spirit of greed-in-a-hurry don't get to me, I can always count on the hideous "Xmas Tunez" (that musical wallpaper all the stores pipe in to set the holiday mood) to make my teeth hurt. Smooth-jazz-inflected, Top-40-ululating, soulful-country, hip-hoppalicious crap, usually conflating Santa, sex and materialism in some bizarre and thoroughly icky way.

Yesterday's worst offender; not exactly offensive, just vapid and intensely irritating:
"Ooh baby, I just wanna see Christmas / (see Christmas... see Christmas...) / Thruuu your eyyyes."

Sweet jumping Jesus in a hay-covered shoebox. Only 18 more days of this?

10 comments:

Michaela said...

When I was in Restoration Hardware a few days ago, I almost asked to see the manager so that I could thank him or her for NOT playing xmas music...almost all of which I LOATHE with the exception of "White Christmas" as sung by Bing Crosby.

--K. said...

I wanna see Xmas thru your eyes? What does that even MEAN? But yeah, gotta have a little Bing. And I know I'm alone in this, but... John Denver and the Muppets Christmas.

anthony said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
anthony said...

I'll let JR handle the John Denver comment... and I know she will.

Meanwhile, this explains a lot.

Jennie-Rebecca said...

No, Kren, you are not alone. JD & the Mups was ALWAYS the first album my mom put on every year. I still love it and I wish I had the show on DVD. Does it exist?

Vince Guaraldi's Charlie Brown Christmas and Nat Cole's whole album are also mustolas.

And a more modern favorite for me is Chris Cornell <3 <3 <3 singing "Ave Maria" (sigh; flutter).

--K. said...

Ok, haven't heard the Chris Cornell "Ave Maria", and might need to. Another fave-- although it's a little too 80's in it's production (not in a good 80's way) is a version I have of Jon Anderson singing "Oh Holy Night". When he gets to the final "o night divine"... oh. my. god. Yeah, I know. UBER GEEK.

anthony said...

JD... and... the Mups.

My gorge just gave a little ol' giddyup right thar.

Michaela said...

All we need now is a movie called "Mups at the Gugg"...

--K. said...

See, in a self-protective measure, my mind didn't even assimilate the reference to "JD & the Mups".

anthony said...

*yurk*

Oh dear god, please make it stop.