Thursday, September 20, 2007

Poem for the Day, September 20, 2007

I am sure you have all contemplated at some point the sometimes insipid question 'if you were free to do anything you want what would that be?' Mine would be to read poetry. Because if I am actually reading poetry it means I have cleared my day of tasks and distractions, and that I am well rested enough and mentally alert enough to actually focus on reading poetry. And that is really where I want to be (relaxed, rested, and clear of mind). Or, as is the present case, I could have a strained tendon in my foot from too much travel and stress, am chair-ridden for the evening, and happen to be sitting right next to the bookshelf that houses our poetry books. Of course, that does not make nearly as good of a story. So, in light of lacking anything better, I offer the first (of more?) poems for the day:

IF THERE IS NO GOD

If there is no God,
Not everything is permitted to man.
He is still his brother's keeper
And he is not permitted to sadden his brother,
By saying that there is no God.

-Czeslaw Milosz

No comments: