Saturday, September 22, 2007

What are your Consumer Consequences?

Apparently, if everyone lived like me we would need 4.2 planets to accommodate our habits. And that is coming from someone who gets 100% of their electricity from renewable sources, lives in a small (compared to the rest of the housing stock in America) apartment in a densely populated areas, and actually tries, on a occasion, to be green. Actually, it is the air travel that kills me: it doubled my number of planets needed from 2.1 to 4.2. So personally, I blame Columbus for all the ills in the world. And really, is it realistic to believe that everyone in the world would want to travel to Columbus as much as I have to? I think not.

What are your consumer consequences?

14 comments:

anthony said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
anthony said...

My current consumer lifestyle would take 3.5 earths... nyeah nyeah... I'm ruining everything more slowly than youuu arrre...

Michaela said...

eeeek, I'm at 3.2 earths!! I got killed on food, much of which, alas, is not made at home. Apparently I don't fix enough things when they're broken either. Better work on that.

anthony said...

My score went way up just for living in Connecticut, which is wayyy above the average for energy consumption. Stupid nowhere little state.

anthony said...

(Oh, did that sound bitter? Oops.)

Michaela said...

Using your outloud voice again...;)

--K. said...

My penchant for car trips has me on the naughty list. I went from just under 2 earths to almost 5 because of my driving habits. Oops...

Jennie-Rebecca said...

I'm at 3.8. I think Anthony cheated because he eats more meat and doesn't always let me buy free range eggs and rages against the recycled toilet paper (a.k.a. fine grit sandpaper).

anthony said...

I think the damn free-range chickens get better toilet paper than I do. Grrr.

Urban Peasant said...

But if we gave the chickens toilet paper than than meat companies would have nothing to feed the cows.

Sorry, you probably didn't want to think about cows are fed.

anthony said...

Tell me... just tell me that beef cattle are fed toilet paper. Come on now!

Urban Peasant said...

Ok, you asked. No, cows are not fed toilet paper. But cows ARE fed the following:

chicken manure (scraped off the floors of large, industrial chicken coops)

concrete powder

cardboard dust

What they are not fed: grass.

--K. said...

What? That interminable Sesame Street hippie-dippy cow segment never mentioned THAT! Then again, those were milk cows, not beef cattle... ;)

anthony said...

"The defect in this one is bleach."

"That's right."

"YESSSSSS!"